Here For You During Difficult Times

Calculating Child Support Under Michigan Law

We know that one of the biggest concerns during a divorce or separation that involves children is child support. Our Ann Arbor divorce and family lawyers at Biggs & Gunst P.C. Attorneys At Law provide legal guidance and support to help clients obtain and establish child support in accordance with Michigan state laws.

How Do Michigan Courts Calculate The Amount Of Child Support Owed?

In Michigan, the court can order child support in a paternity or divorce case. The Supreme Court has established guidelines for calculating child support. The child support guidelines determine which parent will pay child support. Some of the factors that the court considers when determining child support include:

  • Each parent’s income
  • The number of days per year that the child spends with each parent
  • The number of children needing support
  • The health care costs for the child
  • Any child care costs for the child

Once these factors are considered, a child support calculator can help you get a general idea of how much child support you might be entitled to if you are seeking support, or how much you might be required to pay if you are paying support.

When Can You Modify Your Child Support Agreement?

Child support can be reviewed every 36 months. However, a parent can also request a review if there is evidence that there has been a significant change in circumstances that would warrant a modification of child support. Our family law and divorce attorneys can help you better understand if a modification of child support might be warranted.

How Long Do Child Support Payments Last?

Child support payments usually end when a child turns 18 years old. However, a court can order that child support payments will continue if the child is attending high school full time and is expecting to graduate after turning 18.

Consult A Child Support Lawyer For Free

Our child support lawyers offer free, initial consultation appointments to discuss your case and answer your questions. To schedule your free appointment, reach out to us through our contact form on our website or call our office at 734-720-4445.